- Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument
- This national monument was quarried by early inhabitants to gather flint for the manufacturing of tools. Site only available by ranger guided tours, at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. daily, between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge
- A wintering area for migrating waterfowl such as ducks and geese, the refuge also provides habitat for endangered species including bald eagles, peregrine falcons, and mountain plovers. Resident species include both mule and white-tailed deer, prairie dogs, bobcats, coyotes, wild turkey, pheasants, quail, and rabbits. Available activities include: bird-watching, picnicking, and photography. No hunting, overnight camping, open fires, or charcoal grills allowed.
- Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway
- This state park was home for Indians of several cultures for more than 10,000 years before being ranched in the latter part of the nineteenth-century. Park activities include: picnicking and camping, hiking, horseback riding, mountain bike riding, rock climbing, boating, fishing, swimming, a scenic drive, and guided tours. Boat, bike, and horse rentals are also available.
- Lake Meredith National Recreation Area
- A popular, local water recreation area, the Lake also provides flood control, and fish and wildlife benefits. Activities include camping, fishing, hunting, boating, camping, picnicking, and horseback riding.
- Lake Rita Blanca State Park
- This city-owned park, formerly part of the XIT ranch, provides a wintering area for ducks and geese, as well as a home for a wide variety of wildlife, including scaled quail, bald eagles, mule deer, and swift, gray, and red foxes. Activities include: picnicking, hiking, horseback riding, and bicycling. Camping and motorized vehicles are prohibited.
- Palo Duro Canyon State Park
- Activities include camping, horseback riding, hiking, fishing, geological study, nature study, mountain biking, and scenic drives.
- Includes a clickable map with links to area attractions and events, a state-wide events calendar, free publications to order and a screensaver to download, suggested tours, and electronic postcards to send.
- Colorado Travel and Tourism Authority
- Links to a calendar of events, as well as links to lodging, recreation, attractions, wine and dine, transportation, regional maps, city lists, and more information. Searchable.
- Kansas Travel and Tourism
- Includes an online travel planner, regional travel ideas, a travel guide, calendar of events, and information for group tours. The online travel planner has lodging, events, attractions, outdoors, shopping, restaurants, and medical information.
- New Mexico Department of Tourism
- Includes visitor information, outdoor fun, history and culture, facts and trivia, and New Mexico links.
- Oklahoma Native America
- Includes information on theater, games, outdoors, events and festivals, and cities and regions. Also includes a trip planner.
- Travel and Recreation (FirstGov)
- Links to United States government recreation and travel sites.
- Travel and Tourism (Government Printing Office)
- Links to United States government sites on travel and tourism. Includes sections on international travel, U.S. travel, and the tourism industry.
- Visit Your National Parks
- Links to all national parks, including information about fees and passes. Browse by park name or state, or search by theme. Also check out the lists of lesser known parks, wild and scenic riverways, and parks that illustrate national significance.
- Find National Forests and Grasslands
- A clickable map of national forests and grasslands.
- Apply for Passport
- Includes information on applying for U.S. passports, including where to apply, where to get forms, and what to do if you passport is lost or stolen.
- International Travel Information
- Includes search feature to find specific country information, as well as links to the current travel warnings and travel alerts. Country information will include country descriptions, criminal penalties, medical facility descriptions and more.
- Travel Warnings
- Links to current travel warnings, which include descriptions of safety and stability concerns.
- Traveler's Health (Centers for Disease Control)
- Notices about disease outbreaks around the world. In particular, check out their Health Information for International Travel 2003-2004, their Destinations recommendations, and the latest travel alerts on disease outbreaks.
- SARS Information for Travelers (Centers for Disease Control)
- Up to date information on travel alerts, precautionary measures for travelers to take, guidelines for businesses and institutions, special guidelines for international adoptees and their families, and links to WHO information.
- Library of Congress Country Studies
- 91 country studies which describe and analyze each countries' political, economic, social, and national security systems and institutions. Maps are in PDF format. Browse tables of contents or search by keyword.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2205.