Borrowing from the Library
Books and other library materials are checked out at the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Cornette Library. Circulation also handles course reserves, maintains the photocopiers, processes fines and lost books, and handles lost and found items. The Circulation Staff will also help you renew your library books or find books which are not on the shelf.
Getting a Library Card
West Texas A&M University students, faculty, staff, and retirees are automatically registered to check out library material with your Buffalo Gold Card. You must have your Buffalo Gold Card with you and present it at the Circulation Desk in order to check out materials. Other options are available for Friends of the Cornette Library and library users with TexShare cards. Special cards are issued to Destination WT students and to Region 16 Teachers.
Check out up to 100 items for 21 days each. Can renew 5 times.
Check out up to 100 items for the entire semester. No renewals.
Check out up to 100 items for 120 days each. Can renew 3 times.
Check out up to 15 items (5 IRC) for 120 days each. Can renew 3times.
Region 16 Teachers
Check out up to 10 items (IRC only) for up to 120 days each. Can renew 3 times.
Check out up to 20 items (including 5 from IRC) for 28 days each. Can renew 5 times
Current Students, Dependents, Affiliates, Graduate Students
Thesis Students, Teaching Assistants, Graduate Assistants, Distance Students
Faculty, Part Time Instructors, Retirees, Faculty Emeriti, Staff
All contributing Friends of the Library, and "Amarillo College Straight Through to U"
Region 16 Teachers
Currently actively employed teachers in Region 16. Must have school ID.
Includes holders of TexShare cards or Leian Passports. Must show Card or Passport.
Have you encountered an article or book for which you can't get the full text? We'll borrow it from another library for you. This service is typically free of charge.
- Ask a librarian for help, to make sure we truly don't have it.
- Fill out an ILL request form.
- We'll contact you by email or phone when it arrives
- Articles may take up to a week. Books may take 2-3 weeks.
Computer Use Policy
Priorities For Use of Computers
- All education, research, and administrative purposes of West Texas A&M University
- Other uses indirectly related to West Texas A&M University purposes
General Rules for Use of Computers
Use computers and the computer network consistently with stated priorities. Those needing to use computers and the network for reasons consistent with the first priority will be given preference in access.
Do not use the network to violate any laws or other university policies, including policies stated in the Code of Student Life, the Faculty Handbook, and the Texas A&M University System Policy Manual.
Community Use of Computers
WTAMU allows community members, when visiting Cornette Library, the privilege of using the Library's computers under the following conditions:
- Access must be requested by completing the form which is available at the Reference Desk, on the date service is needed. To be granted access a guest should be at least 16 years of age, or be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Guest access is available for only one (1) hour on the date requested. An additional hour may be given at the librarian's discretion.
- Cornette Library reserves the right to ask community members to give up the computer they are using if that computer is needed by a currently enrolled student to complete an assignment.
- Guest access may be monitored and revoked at any time and for any reason. Guests should have no expectation of privacy except as otherwise provided by applicable privacy laws.
- Guests will be requested to provide name, email address, phone, photo ID, and sign a form acknowledging the above provisions.
Library Gift Policy
Cornette Library gladly accepts donations of books and other library materials.
- Donors are asked to fill out a Gift Agreement Form.
- All gifts are acknowledged with a thank you letter.
- Library staff review books or materials to determine their appropriateness for our collections. Needed materials will be added to our collections. If not needed, materials will be returned to the donor, offered free to another entity, or placed on a free shelf in the library.
Cornette Library does not normally accept the following types of materials:
- Popular Magazines
- Damaged books or materials
- Incomplete sets (except to complete existing sets)
- Duplicate materials (except if use warrants, or to replace existing items in poor condition)
- Medical or legal materials that are more than 5 years old
If you have any questions, please contact Gonda Stayton. email@example.com