College and University Campus Crime
Federal Agency Information
- FBI Headline Archives
- FBI page related to their role in the VA Tech shootings.
- OPE Campus Security Statistics Website
(Department of Education)
- This site provides reported statistics on crimes at over 6000 postsecondary education institutions in the United States. The statistics cover the most recent three years and are searchable by name of the institution, location, program, size, and degree offerings. Other campus security-related links are noted. Search results are divided into criminal offenses, hate offenses, and arrests. Also provides institutional characteristics including costs and contact information.
- Campus Safety Resources
- Links to publications and information from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) in the Department of Justice.
- Help for Crime Victims
- Links for help by the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC)in the Department of Justice.
- Campus Security (Department of Education)
- Links, data and resources from the Department of Education.
- Campus Crime: Difficulties Meeting Federal Reporting Requirements - PDF format
- GAO report discussing campus compliance with The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act, enacted in 1990.
- Violent Victimization of College Students, 1995-2002 - PDF format
- A Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report.
- National Summit on Campus Public Safety - PDF format
- Strategies for Colleges and Universities in a Homeland Security Environment from the Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS).
- Synopsis of Crime in Schools and Colleges: A Study of National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) Data - PDF format
- Information about a forthcoming study.
- Campus Crime and Security at Postsecondary Education Institutions
- This report presents data on campus crime statistics for the years 1992, 1993, and 1994 and includes information on campus security procedures, programs, and annual security reports compiled by institutions.
- Summary Campus Crime and Security Statistics 2007-2009
- For parents and students to review the summary national crime statistics for colleges and universities online. Available in 4 separate PDFreports: Arrests, Criminal Offenses, Hate Crimes, and Disciplinary Actions.
- WTAMU Campus Security and Fire Safety
- The University Police Department site on college crime.