- LexisNexis Academic: Biographical Information (WTAMU only)
- Biographical information from a variety of newspapers, journals, and biographical directories. Search by first name and last name. Be sure to read the Search Tips.
- U.S. House of Representatives Member Office Web Services
- Links to Representatives' official Web sites.
- Directory of Senators by Name
- Links to Senators' official Web sites.
- Congressional Directory (1995/96 - present)
- Y 4.P 93/1:1/cong. (Documents; Latest edition in Documents/Reference)
- Short biographical entries with office addresses and a list of counties and zip codes included in each district. Includes a great deal of other directory information -- Congressional staff, Executive offices, international organizations, members of the press galleries, etc. Electronic version requires the Adobe Acrobat reader.
- U.S. Congressional Bibliographies
- Compiled by the North Carolina State University libraries, the U.S. Congressional Bibliographies enumerate and describe meetings held by Congressional committees since 1985, those for which printed transcripts are issued, and those that remain unprinted. Its sources are the Congressional Record's "Daily Digest" and bibliographic information supplied by the U.S. Senate Library. Its primary goal is to be an authoritative, exhaustive reference source of meetings held and documents released by House and Senate committees.
- Almanac of American Politics (2002)
- JK8.A4 2002 (Reference)
- Organized by state, each section provides an overview of the state, and then details on the governor, senators, and representatives and their districts. Entries include demographics, ratings, key votes, election results, and campaign finance information.
- Congressional District Atlas (2005)
- G1201.F7 U45 2005 (Docs/Ref)
- Maps showing the boundaries for all Congressional districts. Tables at the end of each state section give the district for all places, counties, and American Indian reservations.
- Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171)
- Population (age, voting age, race, ancestry, citizenship, and many other characteristics) and housing statistics from the 2000 census. Requires Excel or Adobe Acrobat.
- LexisNexis Academic: General News (WTAMU only)
- Information from a variety of journals, newspapers, news wires, and media services. When searching for an individual's name, it is best to use first name w/3 last name (as in: john w/3 kennedy).
- Campaign Finance Reports and Data (Federal Election Commission)
- View disclosure reports or search the database by individual contributor's names, party or political action committee names, or candidates. More information about campaign finance in general can be found at the FEC's main Web site.
- Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report
- JK1.C65 (current issues in Reference, previous years in Periodicals)
- Also available online Congressional Quarterly Electronic Library(WTAMU only)
- A weekly magazine about Congress, its people, procedures, politics, and impact. Includes regular summary table on the status of major legislation.
- Roll Call Home Page
- The newspaper of Capitol Hill, Roll Call Online delivers much of the same Capitol Hill news as the print version and more.
- The Hill -- The Capitol Newspaper ®
- The Hill reports and analyzes the actions of Congress from a nonpartisan and nonideological viewpoint.
- THOMAS -- U.S. Congress on the Internet
- The Library of Congress' source for federal legislation. Includes bills (from 1989), roll call votes (from 1989), public laws (from 1973), the Congressional Record (from 1989), resumes of Congressional activity (from 1969), and committee reports (from 1995). Searchable by subject and bill number. Individual databases searchable by other categories.
- United States Congress (GPO Access)
- Searchable electronic databases of bills (from 1993), documents (from 1995), a select number of hearings (from 1997), the Congressional Record (from 1995), Public Laws (from 1995), the United States Code (including supplements through January 1997), and the U.S. Constitution, Analysis and Interpretation (1992 Edition and 1996 Supplement).
- Congressional Record
- X 1.1:vol/no (Documents)
- The official transcript of the public proceedings of the houses of Congress. Issued daily when Congress is in session. Includes a section of "Extensions of Remarks" for additional comments by members, whether read on the floor or not. The "Daily Digest" at the end each issue summarizes the actions that day. Digital versions of the predecessors of the Congressional Record are available from the Library of Congress: Annals of Congress (1789-1824); Register of Debates (1824-1837); and the Congressional Globe (1833-1873). The Congressional Globe is also available in microfilm in the Periodicals/Special Collections Unit. See Cornette Library's Congressional Record guide for more information.
- Cornette Library: Finding Federal Bills
- A guide to finding federal bills with either Thomas or GPO Access. Also includes information on finding older bills using the print resources in the Cornette Library.
Other General Guides
- U.S. Legislative Branch Internet Resources (Library of Congress)
- Links to information by and about Congress, including: Congressional Mega Sources, Members, Committees, Congressional Organizations, E-Mail Addresses, Calendars & Schedules, Floor Proceedings, Legislation, U.S. Code, House and Senate Rules, Congressional Record, Roll Call Votes, Executive Business of the Senate, Legislative Process, Congressional News and Analysis, Congressional Internet Services, The History of Congress, and Visitor Information.
- United States House of Representatives
- Links to member offices, roll call votes, committee information, schedules, the Congressional Record, and information on the legislative process.
- United States Senate
- Links to member offices, legislative activities, committee resources, and Senate history. Searchable.
- Congressional Information Center (C-SPAN)
- C-SPAN's guide to Congress. Includes a section of "Capital Questions", congressional links, and C-SPAN's schedule.
- Includes a capital directory, a guide to finding your representative, a guide to writing your representative, selected key votes, and advocacy groups' scorecards.
- U.S. Congress Votes Database (Washington Post)
- Contains roll call votes from 1991 to the present. Current votes are searchable by member names, state, or late night votes.
- Congressional Member Information
- Links to Web sites with information about Congressional members. Sections include: bills introduced, biographies, campaign finances, committee assignments, directories, elections, floor votes, lobby group ratings, and member opinions
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2205.