West Texas A&M University

Buff Transit Tracker
International Employment

Student Employment

On Campus Employment -

Foreign students with valid F-1 status are eligible for on-campus employment. No special authorization from the Department of Homeland Security is needed.  Below are the steps to obtain "on campus" employment.

  • Visit the Student Employment website
  • Interview for desired position
  • Complete all required paperwork with student employment services
  • Apply for a social security card
  • Submit copy of social security card to payroll office

On-campus employment is limited to 20-hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Employment in excess of 20 hours per week during the fall or spring semester is unlawful. During vacation periods and holidays, students may work 21-40 hours per week.

Off Campus Employment -

A student in lawful F1 status who has completed two long semesters (fall,spring) of ful time attendance, may recevie authorization for off campus employment form the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  Students are encouraged to plan ahead as the DHS authorization process can take up to 3 months for approval. There are 3 types of off campus employment: 

For information on student employment, visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement