- MedlinePlus: News by Health Topic: Biodefense and Bioterrorism
- Updated links to medical news on Biodefense and Bioterrorism. Chosen by the National Library of Medicine from the New York Times Syndicate, AP News Service, Reuters Health Information, and others.
- MedlinePlus: News by Health Topic: Chemical Weapons
- Links to medical news on Chemical Weapons.
- Cornette Library Catalog: Biological Warfare
- Books, journals, government documents, and web sites about biological warfare available from the Cornette Library. Those sources with the location of Internet are available over the web. Others may be checked out or used in the library.
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Information from the Centers for Disease Control about chemical and biological agents. Includes press releases, training, contacts, and other important information relating to the public health aspects of bioterrorism preparedness and response.
- JAMA Articles on BioTerrorism
- Searches JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association, for articles on bioterrorism. Any articles which are not available for free through this search can be found in the Cornette Library's collections.
- The Center for Biosecurity
- An independent, nonprofit organization of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, the Center for Biosecurity works to affect policy and practice in ways that lessen the illness, death, and civil disruption that would follow large-scale epidemics, whether they occur naturally or result from the use of a biological weapon. The site includes fact sheets, articles, links, and a wide array of other information resources on such diseases as anthrax, smallpox, botulism, and plague, as well as many other bioterrorism-related topics.
- Institute for Bio-Security: The Saint Louis University School of Public Health
- Graduate programs in biosecurity and disaster preparedness, with links to information on emerging threats, and preparedness checklists.
- Texas Department of State Health Services: Public Health Preparedness
- Information on response to a range of disasters.
- What To Do If You Receive An Anthrax Threat
- Instructions from the United States Postal Service on what to do upon receiving a suspicious letter or package. Also check out the Suspicious Mail Alert poster.
- How to Handle Anthrax and Other Biological Agent Threats
- Advice for the general public and state health departments on how to cope with bioterrorism from the Centers for Disease Control.
- Amerithrax or Anthrax Investigation (FBI)
- History of the investigation of the threatening letters containing anthrax which were sent to Tom Brokaw and Senator Tom Daschle in the fall of 2001.
- CDC Emergency Preparedness & Response for Anthrax
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention page about confronting Anthrax as a threat, with fact sheets, articles, guidelines, and other information resources about the disease and how to deal with it.
- MedlinePlus: Health Information: Anthrax
- Links to news updates, general information, diagnosis and symptoms, prevention and screening, specific conditions, treatment, organizations, and information in Spanish. From the National Library of Medicine.
- Textbooks of Military Medicine: Anthrax
- Chapter on anthrax includes sections on history, epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical disease, diagnosis, treatment, and prophylaxis. Links to all chapters in Textbooks of Military Medicine: Medical Aspects of Biological Warfare can be found here.
- Anthrax Vaccine Immunization Program
- The Department of Defense's anthrax vaccine web site. Includes information on the disease, the bioterrorism threat, and the vaccine.
- Anthrax Vaccine
- Information from the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research about the anthrax vaccine. Includes links to government reports on the vaccine.
- Use of Anthrax Vaccine: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunizations Practices
- Recommendation from 2000 on the use of the anthrax vaccine.
- World Anthrax Data Site
- Anthrax outbreaks around the world as of 2003. From the World Health Organization and the Center for Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems for Public Health, Louisiana State University.
- CDC Ricin
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have put together this emergency preparedness and response page that includes a fact sheet about ricin.
- Ricin Science Reference Guide
- The Library of Congress has put together this Science Reference Guide with links about the toxic substance ricin.
- Textbooks of Military Medicine: Ricin
- Chapter on ricin includes sections on toxicity, pathogenesis, symptoms, pathology, diagnosis, and management.
- Open Directory: Society: Issues: Issues: Terrorism: Biological and Chemical
- Links to web sites including articles, government sites, and online publications. Also includes links to web sites about anthrax.
- Yahoo! Society and Culture > Crime > Types of Crime > Terrorism > Bioterrorism
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2215.