This guide provides links to selected Web sites that are related to the history of art and architecture. A wealth of information about art and architecture can be found on the Web. Virtual tours of museums, quality images of art works, and textual information can be retrieved easily using the sites listed below. For additional sites on studio art go to Web Guide: Studio Arts. If you are interested in art in schools, try Web Guide: Art Education.
You may also wish to consult Art Information and the Internet by Lois Swan Jones located in Cornette Library's Reference Collection (N 59 .J66 1999 Ref). This book provides an excellent discussion of using the Internet to find information on art, as well as listings of hundreds of Web sites and other Internet resources.
- American Association of Museums
- Presents information on membership, services, events, publications, advertising and media opportunities, bookstore, and related organizations.
- College Art Association
- Professional organization of artists, art historians, fine arts educators, and museum directors and curators. Provides information on membership, career and professional development, CAA publications and conferences, and related news items.
- Society of Architectural Historians
- Encourages scholarly research and promotes the preservation of significant architectural monuments. Offers information on membership, activities, local chapters, and projects, as well as numerous links to related Web sites.
- Web Guide: Citing Internet and Print Resources
- A list of links to various style manuals.
- Art Historians' Guide to the Movies
- Look for famous works of art and architecture depicted in movies.
- Art History Resources on the Web
- Numerous links to Web sites in the categories of prehistoric, ancient, middle ages, Renaissance, Baroque, 18th-20th centuries, non-European, research resources, museums and galleries, and prints and photographs. Includes a table of stylistic movements and time periods.
- Art on the Web
- Offers links to over a thousand Web sites on art and architecture.
- Yahoo!: Arts: Museums, Galleries, and Centers
- Browse the list of links to hundreds of museum, gallery, and art center Web sites worldwide.
- Daily news items on art and a free Arts News Service delivered three times/week by e-mail.
- Art History discussion lists
- Gives a list of newsgroups, usenet groups, and discussion lists related to art history.
- Intute: Arts and Humanities
- A database of arts and humanities web resources on arts and humanities available for browsing and searching.
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus Browser (Getty Information Institute)
- Provides information on terms "used to describe art, architecture, decorative arts, material culture, and archival materials."
- ArtLex: Dictionary of Visual Art
- Find definitions for many terms in the visual arts along with some illustrations and links to related Web sites.
- Getty Provenance Index (Getty Research Institute)
- Offers access to several searchable databases providing information on the history of collecting and the provenance of art works.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names (Getty Research Institute)
- Locate current and historical places related to art and architecture.
- Full-text articles from 55 core journals on art and art history. Coverage is from Volume 1 Issue 1 to the most current 3-5 years. Off-campus access available only to West Texas A&M faculty, students, and staff.
- Database of articles on the fine and decorative arts, with the exception of contemporary art. Examples of the decorative arts include armor, jewelry, glass, clocks, furniture and textiles.
- Union List of Artist Names (Getty Research Institute)
- Learn about over 200,000 artists worldwide from antiquity to the present.
- Built in America: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record
- Provides access to documentation (text and images) on thousands of buildings and engineering structures housed in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress.
- Georgia O'Keeffe and Texas
- Cornette library site with unique images of O'Keeffe, plus images of some of her artwork and personal items.
- Searchable database of over 1,000 art schools and programs worldwide.
- Index of Art History Departments' Websites Around the World
- Lists schools in the United States and foreign countries that have art history department Web pages. Click on the link in the left frame to get to the index.
- Search ArtSchools.com
- Directory of art schools, searchable by name, US State and major with free information request options
- The Artchive: Art CD-ROM Reviews
- Growing list of reviews for software related to art.
- Art Images for College Teaching
- Royalty-free images for educational use keyed to similar images in standard undergraduate art history textbooks.
- Images (resizable to fit the screen) of works of over 200 artists.
- Provides access to hundreds of images at museum Web sites, image archives, and other online sources. Searchable by artist's name.
- Digital Archive of American Architecture
- Images of American architecture from the 17th through 20th centuries located in the northeastern United States and Chicago. Also check the Archive of European Architecture.
- Digital Imaging Project
- Images of architecture and sculpture from the classical period to the Post-Modern.
- SILS Art Image Browser (University of Michigan)
- Browse or search for images in the collections of the University of Michigan Museum of Art, Kelsey Museum of Archeology, Slide and Photograph Collection (Department of the History of Art, University of Michigan), and the Los Angeles Chicano Murals (Private Photograph Collection, Susan Atkins).
- World Art Treasures
- Includes images from the Jacques-Edouard Berger Foundation of art works from Egypt, India, Asia, and Europe.
- Career Alternatives for Art Historians
- This site lists skills, knowledge, and educational requirements for various careers, like art librarian, antiques dealer, curatorial consultant, and more, open to art historians. Links are also provided, in some cases, to additional resources related to these careers.
- Career Development (College Art Association)
- Find information on CAA's Career Development Program, professional ethics, guidelines/standards, curriculum vitae, resumes, slide labeling, and placement services at the annual conference.
- International Directory of Art Libraries
- Provides information, including addresses, phone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses, hours of operation, personnel listings, and links to Web pages, for "nearly 3,000 libraries and library departments with specialized holdings in art, architecture, and archaeology throughout the world."
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2215.