Guidelines for Handling Special Collections Material
- No more than three volumes and one box may be used at a time. Please use only one file from the box at a time and return it to the box before removing another one.
- Please keep documents flat on the reading table and in the order that you found them. The original order of manuscript and any unbound material should be preserved.
- Only pencil and paper may be used to take notes. Please be especially careful not to write on, tear, fold, and/or trace documents. Tracing may cause damaging indentations in rare documents.
- Book cradles and weights are available for use. Please ask the Special Collections staff person on duty in the Reading Room for assistance.
- Each item must be returned to the Special Collections staff person on duty in the reading room before leaving. Books may be reserved for a limited time by arrangement with a Special Collections staff member.
- Unopened leaves of books will not be cut. Another copy of the book will be provided if available.
- Please handle materials with clean hands. Patrons will be given white cotton gloves to wear when handling some materials.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the reading rooms.
- West Texas A&M University is a smoke-free institution. Smoking or use of tobacco products is not permitted in the reading rooms.