In keeping with Texas Government Code, Chapter 441, Section 186 the primary mission of the West Texas A&M University Archives is to preserve those records deemed archival under the University's Texas A&M University System Records Retention Schedule. The University Archives collects, preserves in existing formats, appraises, organizes, and provides access (when not confidential) to these historically significant records. The University Archives also collects the personal papers of University administrators, faculty, staff, and distinguished alumni.
West Texas A&M University's Archives is located in the Archives Room on the second floor of Cornette Library. The Archives consists of:
- back years of the University budget;
- minutes of committee meetings;
- back issues of The Prairie, the student newspaper;
- copies of The Eternal Flame, the updated replacement to WTAMU's yearbook Le Mirage
- newspaper clippings about WTAMU events;
- some faculty publications;
- and various other materials from the library and other departments of the University.
Archives materials may not be checked out. Materials within this collection may be photocopied, if the Special Collections Librarian feels they are not too fragile. Ask for assistance at the Special Collections Desk.