Finding Books at the Cornette Library
Books are the information source of choice in several circumstances. Books excel at:
- Providing a comprehensive overview of a subject.
- Comparing and contrasting multiple points of view on a complex subject.
- Collating in one place the writings of multiple experts on a topic.
- Providing historical perspective.
- Bringing together interdisciplinary views on topics that cross traditional discipline boundaries.
- Inspiring, entertaining, and creating visions of places unseen.
Many prefer print books, and we have a large number of wonderful works which are not available electronically.
We have several sources of online books, and a number of ways to locate them:
- Search the online catalog (advanced search) adding the term electronic resource to your keywords
- Search the database ebook Academic Collection. These books can be read online or downloaded and checked out to read on a personal device
- Search in Eighteenth Century Collections Online, ScienceDirect, Wiley for books.
Reference books are ideal for learning background on a topic, or statistics. Sources include:
Occasionally a professor will put a textbook on reserve for use by students in a specific course. Otherwise:
- We have very few textbooks for classes taught at WTAMU. Ask for assistance at the Reference Desk.
- Texas State approved K-12 textbooks are in the Instructional Resource Center on the first floor of the library.
Books to be read to young children, to be used for elementary educators, or for pleasure reading are all in the collection. To find them:
- Search the online catalog (advanced search) and limit to Location: Youth Shelves or Location: Old Main Room 214 Williams Children's Literature Collection
- Browse the shelves in either the Instructional Resource Center or the Youth Shelves.
If you are among those who believe that settling down with a good book is relaxing, we can help.
- Browse the paperback shelves, located near the coffee shop seating area.
- Browse the New Books shelves, located near the Circulation desk.
- Search our online catalog for items that are shelved other areas. You can search by title, author, or genre.
- Ask for suggestions at the Reference Desk.