Geographic Information Systems
What is GIS?
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are computer systems that aid in the management and analysis of geographically referenced data. In other words, GIS is an information system that is designed to work with data referenced by spatial or geographic coordinates.
What WTAMU Has
WTAMU relies on data acquired through the Federal Depository Library Program (such as the Census Bureau, Department of Interior, etc.) for its data sets. Use the Cornette Library Catalog or search online to find data sets to use. Cornette Library has some proprietary GIS software which includes: Microsoft MapPoint, DeLorme Topo USA, and Global Mapper. Also available are the products ArcReader, Google Earth, and NASA World Wind.
- Microsoft MapPoint
- features help you turn large amounts of location-based information into maps that are practical and easy to understand. Just import spreadsheet information into MapPoint, and it is displayed in a meaningful way.
- DeLorme Topo USA
- features a topographic map, a shaded relief map, a 3-D shaded relief map, a trail map, and a road map, and lets you route automatically for all of them. Topo USA 5.0 combines the best features of detailed topographic maps with road-routing software so you have a versatile mapping solution.
- Global Mapper
- features a viewer capable of displaying the most popular raster, elevation, and vector data sets. It converts, edits, prints, tracks GPS, and allows you to utilize GIS functionality on data sets. Global Mapper also includes the ability to directly access the entire TerraServer database of USGS satellite imagery and topographic maps free of charge and to view elevation data in true 3-D.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can use the GIS facilities? The GIS Service of the Cornette Library is for patrons affiliated with West Texas A&M University.
- How do I use this service? Please contact the Documents Librarian Carolyn Ottoson 806-651-2205 for an appointment.
- Are there fees? Printing fees apply. Black and white printing is $.09 per page + tax for 8.5" x 11" (letter size) copies and $.09 per page + tax for 8.5" x 14" (legal size) copies. Color printing is $.19 per page + tax for 8.5" x 11" (letter size) copies and $.28 per page + tax for 8.5" x 14" (legal size) copies.
- How do I save my data? Please bring your own CD-R or CD-RW to burn your information.