Purpose: To acquaint you with materials in Cornette Library and on the World Wide Web that will make research for your assignments easier.
- Excellent place to start research.
- Provide background information.
- Include basic information sources like dictionaries, encyclopedias, bibliographies, chronologies, and research guides.
- Annual Reports to Shareholders
- Annual Reports file cabinets, Reference Dept.
- Published annual reports from selected companies. Not searchable in library catalog. Most current two years retained.
- Book Review Digest
- Indexes - Reference Dept.
- Has summary of book. Many of the citations also include a paragraph from the original review. Reviews from over 80 publications. Tip: search more than one volume. Example: for book first published in 2004, search volumes for 2003, 2004, and 2005.
- Book Review Index
- Indexes - Reference Dept.
- Citations to book reviews from over 250 publications. Tip: same as for Book Review Digest.
- Contemporary Authors
- Z 1224 .C59 (Reference)
- Multi-volume series about authors. Includes personal information, contact address, career, awards & honors, writings, reviews, bibliography on author (books and articles). Also online in Gale Literary Databases. Sample author: Bill Gates.
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance
- HF 5381 .E52 2005 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- Five-volume set. Career information includes overview, history, job description, requirements, entry-level positions, salaries, work environment, job outlook, associations.
- Guide to Basic Cover Letter Writing
- HF 5383 .P735 1995 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- General information, guidelines, sample cover letters.
- Industry Surveys
- HC 106.6 .S74 (Reference)
- Excellent information. Overview and outlook for various industries. Major companies highlighted.
- Job Interviews Made Easy
- HF 5549.5 .I6 M316 1995 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- Strategies, mistakes to avoid, business etiquette.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- HF 5382.5 .U5 O232 20004 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- From the U.S. Dept. of Labor. Includes nature of work, employment statistics, job outlook, salaries, associations. Also online.
- Real People Working in Business
- HF 5381 .C2533 1999 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- Various business careers. Information includes overview, training, job outlook, salaries, related fields.
- Resumes for Business Management Careers
- HF 5383 .V46 2000 (Reference) "Careers Section"
- Worksheets, writing tips, popular formats, sample cover letters, about 100 sample resumes.
- Standard & Poor's Standard Corporation Descriptions
- HG 4501 .S7664 Ref.
- Background and financial information on public companies.
- Value Line Investment Survey (Volume 1: Ratings and Reports)
- HG 4501 .V26 (Circulation Dept. - Reserve Shelves)
- One-page overview of each industry. Has one-page, detailed information on individual public companies within the industry. Also online.
- Cornette Library's online catalog
- Includes books, government documents, videos, journal titles, etc. available throughout the Library. Suggested searches include:
- a keyword search for your subject, such as business climate.
- the general LC subject heading Corporate culture.
- the LC subject heading for a specific topic and place such as Organizational behavior United States.
To determine the most appropriate subject headings for your search, refer to the red Library of Congress Subject Headings near the Reference computers in the Library or search the online Library of Congress Authorities Catalog.
- Online catalog for libraries around the world.
- Lists Cornette Library books along with many more in other libraries.
- Search by keyword, author, title, or subject.
- Request books not in Cornette Library through the pre-filled Interlibrary loan form. Allow at least three weeks for books (two weeks for articles) to arrive.
- Full-text books, some of which are not in the library catalog.
- Electronic books that are read online
- Sample keyword search on Cornette Library's online catalog: career? AND netlibrary
- Click on desired book title, then link to "An electronic book accessible through the World Wide Web"
- To read book, click on "View this eBook"
- One "copy" of each book (only one reader at a time can view the book)
- Click on "Close Item" link when through (or book will be unavailable to other users for 15 minutes)
Provide current information
- Library shelves contain more than 1500 bound and current journals.
- Microform (film or fiche) available for dozens of leading newspapers, as well as other periodicals.
- Databases index articles found in journals and magazines. Some are:
- Citation only
- Citation and a short summary of the article (abstract)
- Full text
- General, covering many kinds of topics, and specialized, for specific disciplines.
How to Access Databases
- On-campus: In the library or HELC.
- Off-campus: Login with your Buff Advisor username (for example, js123456) and your Buff Advisor password (for example, buffaloes).
- Database citations not in full-text may be located in Cornette Library's online catalog, or the list of online journals.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles inaccessible through Cornette library. Use only your WTAMU e-mail address! Allow up to 2 weeks for articles to arrive.
- Academic Search Complete
- Numerous sources for a variety of disciplines. Over 375 are business-related. Option to search by Document Type for Book Review. Much full text.
- Business & Company Resource Center
- Excellent source for business, company, and industry information. Includes company profiles; histories; investment reports; financial information; rankings within an industry; products, industry overviews; articles in magazines, journals, and business news. Most information is available in full text. Limited to 3 concurrent users. Please click the Log Off icon when through (looks like a Greek temple).
- Business Source Complete
- Search company name to find company profiles, SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analyses, Datamonitor reports, market research reports, product reviews, and industry profiles. Full text articles (magazine, trade, journal, etc.) on business topics from over 10,000 publications.
- Gale Literary Databases
- Can limit search to articles in Contemporary Authors only. Sample author: Bill Gates.
- LexisNexis Academic
- Click link to "Business" for business news, company information, and comparisons of companies based on sales, income, employees, and location. The SEC Filings & Reports has option to search SEC 10-K Reports (annual reports filed with the SEC 90 days after the end of a company's fiscal year). All full text.
- Value Line Research Center
- Independent investment information. Individual stock reports and industry reviews. Current performance and future outlook. One-page overview of each industry. One-page detailed information on each company included. All full text. Limited to 6 concurrent users. Please Log Off when through.
- Displays in most of our databases. Links from a citation to one or more of the following:
- One or more links to full-text of the cited article
- A link to a pre-set search of the Cornette Library catalog for the cited item
- A link to a pre-filled Interlibrary Loan request form for the article
- A link to various help options
- For more information see the tutorial Using SFX to Link to Articles
- Ask at the Reference Desk (first floor) or Periodicals Desk (second floor).
- Call 651-2215 during the hours Cornette Library is open.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Current information on careers and their futures: salary, working conditions, education, employment projections, and more.
- Career Guide to Industries
- Government publication providing information on specific industries: browse by sector such as agriculture or education, or search by keyword.
- O*Net Online
- Occupational Information Network. Replaces the Dictionary of Occupational Titles. Search occupations by keyword or code number.
- Descriptions include task summary, knowledge, skills, abilities, work environment, and needed preparation. Also provides list of related occupations and links to wage and employment information.
- Careers and Job Hunting
- Links to web sites that will help choose a career and find a job.
- WTAMU Career Services
- Information about salaries, jobs, interviews, and careers.
Why must I cite the sources I use for research projects?
- To give credit to the author of the information you use.
- To avoid plagiarism (WTAMU Code of Student Life: Appendix I-Academic Integrity Code). Plagiarism is a serious offense that can result in a failing grade or worse!
- So that others can verify the information.
- To assist others in doing their own research.
- Your instructor requires you to use the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.
- A copy of the fifth edition is located at the Reference Desk.
- Additional assistance is available from our Citation Basics web page. Other information is available from Recommended Web Sites: Citing your sources.
- Suggestions for improvements?
- Particularly helpful items?
- Please email Linda Chenoweth.