ANTH 2351 - C. Bowers Cultural Anthropology
The purpose of this guide is to provide some general information and to highlight the materials in Cornette Library for students of cultural anthropology.
Anthropology is an exciting and widely diverse field, but like many scholarly disciplines, knowledge and practice in the field of anthropology has changed dramatically over the course of the century. It is important to use good research skills and to apply good judgment in choosing sources and information.
CC 1-960 Archaeology
GN 1-890 Anthropology. General area, including hominids
GN 281-289 Human evolution, fossil man, human paleontology
GN 301-674 Ethnology. Social and cultural anthropology
GN 537-674 Ethnic groups, races
GN 550-674 By region or country
P 1-1091 Philology, Linguistics
P 101-410 Language, linguistic theory, comparative grammar
QL 737.P9 Primates
Dictionary of Anthropology GN 11 W5 Ref.
Defines terms from archaeology, ethnology and physical anthropology, include early hominids. The date of publication excludes many significant developments, including primate research and the DNA, but the dictionary remains a solid source otherwise, especially for deciphering more classical works in the field.
Encyclopedia of Anthropology GN 11 E52 Ref.
Lots of images accompany the entries for this volume, including maps, and photographs of people and artifacts. Profiles of significant individuals are included.
Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology [netLibrary]
Excellent, current resource. Provides definitions of concepts and theories, as well as information on many cultural groups and key figures in the field.
Illustrated Encyclopedia of Mankind GN 307 .I44 v.1-20
This comprehensive and interesting resource describes regional and cultural aspects of human life. Vols. 1-15 contain articles about ethnic and cultural groups from around the world, arranged alphabetically by ethnonym. Vols 16-20 feature articles documenting cross-cultural characteristics of human existence, such as sports, music, social organization and religion.
World Atlas of Archaeology G1046.E15 W6 1985 REF
Rich illustrations, photographs and maps fill this atlas. Excellent volume for understanding important questions in archaeology, such as emergence of agriculture and human evolution and movement. Also provides excellent geographic subject material
Dictionary of Linguistics & Phonetics P 29 .C65 2003 REF
Thorough reference book for the studying language in technical and social ways. Includes descriptions of grammar and descriptions of concepts in language and linguistics.
How to Access Databases
- On-campus: In the library or HELC.
- Off-campus: Login with your Buff Advisor username (for example, js123456) and your Buff Advisor password (for example, buffaloes).
- Database citations not in full-text may be located in Cornette Library's online catalog, or the list of online journals.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles inaccessible through Cornette library. Allow up to 3 weeks for articles to arrive.
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
- Most comprehensive listing of sources about Native North Americans. Full-text from other EBSCO databases, and linked via SFX.
- America History and Life
- Important citation source for North America post-Columbus. Full-text linked via SFX.
- American FactFinder
- U.S. Census Bureau information.
- Academic Search Complete
- Cross-disciplinary database with many scholarly, full-text sources.
- Full-text, scholarly articles. From volume 1, issue 1 of each publication to about 3-5 years ago.
Use the Journals finder to link to the following core anthropology journals:
- American Anthropologist
- Annual Review of Anthropology
- Anthropological Linguistics
- Current Anthropology
- Cultural Anthropology
- Displays in most of our databases. Links from a citation to one or more of the following:
- One or more links to full-text of the cited article,
- A link to a pre-set search of the Cornette Library catalog for the cited item,
- A link to a pre-filled Interlibrary Loan request form for the article, or
- A link to various help options.
- For more information see the tutorial Using SFX to Link to Articles
- Ask at the Reference Desk (first floor) or Periodicals Desk (second floor).
- Call 651-2215 during the hours Cornette Library is open.
- Use the "Ask A Librarian" form for electronic reference support.
- National Museum of the American Indian
- National Anthropological Archives at National Museum of Natural History
- Anthropology Museum, University of Missouri
- The Avalon Project at Yale: Treaties Between the United States and Native Americans
- The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
- Foundation for Endangered Languages
Professional Associations, Research Centers, Foundations, etc.
- American Anthropological Association
- Peoples of the World Foundation
- Yerkes National Primate Research Center
- Visual Anthropology
- Native Culture Links
Web Guides - searchable lists of web sites, selected for quality
- Scout Report Archives
- Scholarly. Keyword or advanced search. Results listed by relevance.
- INFOMINE Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
- Scholarly. Keyword search or browse by general subject area. Can limit to free sites.
- Suggestions for improvements?
- Particularly helpful items?
- Please email Linda Chenoweth.