- All members of the faculty of West Texas A&M University who are engaged in:
- Specific research projects that require library materials which can not, or can only with difficulty, be used away from the library
- Projects requiring facilities for uninterrupted study or writing
- Examples of projects:
- Writing a dissertation, book, or research paper
- Preparing a grant proposal or course syllabus
- Performing a University committee function requiring extensive use of Library materials
- Graduate students who are working on their thesis, only after faculty needs have been met.
- Retired faculty who are engaged in research or writing for publication, only after all faculty and graduate student needs have been met.
How to Apply
- Applications are available in the Library Administration office.
- Applications should be made, if possible, by the last class day of the semester preceding the one in which the study is to be used.
- Studies will be assigned for the specific project, for one semester at a time (fall, spring, summer) with the option of renewal for one additional semester. Applications for shorter periods, even a few weeks, are in order.
After your carrel is assigned
- You will need to request a key in the Library Administration office -- please allow 3 days for processing. Note: There is a replacement fee for lost keys.
- Be sure to log in on the faculty carrel registration sheet at the Circulation desk.
- Double or multiple assignments to a single carrel may be made if it is agreeable to the parties concerned.
Renewing your carrel
- Carrels may be renewed for a second semester by notifying the University Librarian by the last class day of the semester.
- Carrels may be renewed for a third semester:
- only if space remains after all other applicants have been assigned carrels, or
- the faculty member can demonstrate -- by documented regular extensive use of the study and evidence of continuing research or scholarship produced in that study -- that the denial of a renewal for third consecutive semester would result in a hardship situation.
At the end of the semester
- It is your responsibility to return your key to the Physical Plant and to notify the University Librarian.
- If you fail to vacate your carrel at the end of the semester, the study will be cleared of all library materials and personal effects.
Any questions? Ask a Librarian, or call us at 806/651-2215.