FYE Peer Leader Internship
Applications for the 2013-2014 selection process are now closed.
What’s the Point? Peer Leaders (PL) are charged with the mission of guiding first year students to success. This year long commitment includes: New Student Orientation, Buff Branding, Convocation and IDS. In supporting this mission, PL’s will purposefully help new students:
- Connect with what motivates students – relationships and career information
- Paint a clear picture of their education and career journey
- Outline the skills necessary to be successful at college and in the workplace
- Give a clear overview of the academic program, culture and expectations
- Convey enthusiasm and spirit for the University
- Provide supportive student success resources
- Strengthen college success and self-management skills
- Build relationships with faculty and students in program group
What would you do? Position Description
Peer Leaders are an integral component of the WTAMU team. They serve as academic and social role models for new and prospective students, sharing their own successes and setbacks in developing study habits, taking advantage of campus resources, managing their time, and navigating the campus. PL’s work to develop good rapport with new students, and they are often the first member of the instructional team to whom new and prospective students confide their fears and uncertainties. We select exceptional undergraduate students who give evidence of interpersonal and intellectual skills. Essential functions of this position include the ability to communicate effectively to large and small groups of people, relate to others, and exhibit appropriate dedication to academic and campus life.
Peer Leaders are required to complete training throughout the spring semester and for a set number of days prior to the first NSO.
They are required to serve on the following dates during the summer and other listed semester activities.
- Peer Leader Training: April and May (specific times TBA)
- NSO: June 6-7; June 20-21; June 27-28; July 18-19; July 25-26; August 1-2; August 22
- Buff Branding: August 24;
- Convocation: TBA
- IDS: Instructor and class assignment to be arranged for fall and potentially spring
- Office Hours: To be arranged for Fall and Spring
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Intern Compensation PL’s will obtain personal development and master skill sets from various areas not limited to the following:
In addition to the educational benefits each PL will receive $3500 to be divided and paid out over the course of the internship starting in May.
- Clearly and accurately convey university information to a diverse audience
- Identify and recommend appropriate campus resources, services and strategies for success
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and the ability to facilitate a group
- Be sensitive to and value different cultures
- Exhibit an appreciation and respect for diversity
- Recognize the importance of personal and career development
- Develop meaningful relationships with others
- Think critically and exhibit problem-solving skills
- Understand and practice good reasoning and judgement
In addition, all Peer Leaders (residential or not) will receive free meals during the duration of the two summer sessions in addition to their salaries.
What is the Application and Selection Process? Interested students must submit an application, attend one of two mandatory group interviews and meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above.
Applications and resumes are due by 5pm February 15th. All applications without a resume by this time will not be considered for the position. Applications not submitted by the application deadline will not be considered for selection and applicant is not eligible to participate in the interview process.
Additional information will be sent after your application has been submitted.
Mandatory group interviews will be held on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, February 28th from 1:30 -5:30 pm
- Friday, March 1st from 8:30 am-12:30 p.m.
Once an application is complete, an email will be sent regarding more specific information (i.e., where and when to sign up for an interview).
Attire for the audition interview is khakis, jeans or pants, polo shirt, and casual shoes or sneakers.