Texas Certification Requirements
- Attain at least a bachelor’s degree
- Complete all courses listed on the degree/certification plan
- Meet the grade point averages required on the degree/certification plan (no grade less than a “C” will be accepted in the teaching field or on professional development coursework)
- Achieve passing scores on all TExES tests designated on the degree/certification plan
- Apply for certification and pay the TEA/SBEC fees (steps below)
- Go online to TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY, tea.texas.gov
- Go to ECOS for Educators
- Create New TEAL Account (choose "educator" as your organization type) or login using an existing account
- Follow the instructions to apply for certification
- Pay the TEA fees online or by mail
- By mail - you may print the remittance form and send payment to SBEC (to expedite the process, SBEC recommends that payment be made via money order or cashier’s check.)
- All first-time certificate applicants must submit fingerprints. Follow and complete instructions for fingerprinting.
- When you have applied correctly, you will receive an email from TEA that your application has been submitted into the application database.
Before you apply, make sure you have confirmed with your Program adviser that all your course work, exams, and requirements on your official degree or certification plan are complete.
A certification officer will review requirements when West Texas A&M University receives notification. Before issuing certification, the Texas Education Agency will initiate a criminal background review and process applicant payments.