“I’d love to study abroad, but isn’t it expensive?”
There are many ways to manage a budget to study abroad, come talk to us about opportunities that suit your academic and personal goals! WTAMU is dedicated to encouraging students to travel abroad through acceptance of credits from abroad, financial aid and scholarship assistance.
Study Abroad on a Budget
Most financial aid and grants you receive at WTAMU can be used to pay for study abroad, for a summary of the financial aid process specific to study abroad students, see this sheet. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to pursue these opportunities.
International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS)
This scholarship is specifically for study abroad students. It's funded by the WTAMU $4 International Education fee. If you want to apply, read the requirements, complete the application and return it to the Office of Study Abroad.
IEFS Scholarship Awards:
$500 – 850 Faculty-Led Programs
$500 – 900 Individuals in Summer
$1000 – 1750 Individuals in Fall/Spring Semester
IEF Scholarships are awarded based on the following weighted scale:
Financial Need 3
Special Consideration 2
*Special Consideration is an averaged score from the assessment of your IEF Scholarship Application. These scores come from a committee of professors.
Attebury Honors Program Scholarship
If you have been a member in good standing with the Attebury Honors Program for a minimum of 12 months, you may qualify for additional support through the Attebury Honors Program. Please contact their office at 806-651-2734 or email@example.com for additional information.
- Bridging Scholarship – The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project offers scholarships to American students participating in study abroad programs in Japan.
- Fulbright – Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Fulbright provides for students, scholars and professionals to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching and teaching in elementary and secondary schools.
- The Gilman Scholarship – Students must be Pell grant recipients to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Institute of International Education Passport Study Abroad Funding – IIE Passport is a source for researching study abroad scholarships.
- National Security Education Program – Awards scholarships to American students for study of world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean and the The Middle East. The countries of Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand are excluded).