- Federal, State, and Local Government Agencies
PLAN OF STUDY
Environmental Engineering (B.S.)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to apply science, mathematics, and modern engineering tools and techniques to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- How to design and conduct experiments and analyze data for evaluating the state of the environment.
- How to design environmental systems or processes for remediating of mitigating impact on the environment within the realistic economic, social, and political constraints, individually or on interdisciplinary teams, and effectively communicate those designs to others, both those who have technical backgrounds and those who do not .
- How to identify factors impacting environmental systems and understand the complex relationships that may exist and be able to communicate well the importance of these issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- How to apply formal and self-directed educational experience to understand the importance of contemporary social, political, economic, business, and ethical issues.
- How to understand the importance of ethical behavior and life-long learning to success as an engineer operating in a technically progressive profession and ethically challenging business climate.
Information ABOUT Environmental Engineering
Environmental engineers will be needed to help companies comply with environmental regulations and to develop methods of cleaning up environmental hazards. There has been a shift in emphasis toward preventing problems rather than controlling those which already exist, as well as increasing public health concerns resulting from population growth, also are expected to spur demand for environmental engineers. Because of this employment growth, job opportunities in Environmental Engineering should be favorable.
Environmental engineers use the principles of engineering, soil science, biology, and chemistry to develop solutions to environmental problems. They are involved in efforts to improve recycling, waste disposal, public health, and control of water and air pollution
DEGREE OPTIONS/FUTURE ACADEMIC PATHS
Graduates are awarded a B.S.in Environmental Engineering.
Graduate Students may also find similar academic interests in:
- Business Administration
- Engineering Technology
Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
Median wage (TX) - $82,250
Median wage (US) - $75,810
Environmental Compliance Inspectors
Median wage (TX) - $53,370
Median wage (US) - $55,100
Wage information taken from http://wtamu.myplan.com