Department of Education
Master of Arts (M.A.) Degree
Major in Counseling (Major Code: 5464)
- Admittance to WTAMU Graduate School;
- Admittance to the program based on a minimum composite score of 1,500 which will be calculated by Graduate Record Exam (GRE) + (last 60 hours GPA x 200) = 1,500. Applicants not meeting these criteria may apply for conditional admission. (See the “Graduate School” section of this catalog.) Students must have a minimum GRE verbal score of 400 prior to formal admittance to the counseling program.
- Completion of departmental application, including three letters of recommendation
- Formal interviews conducted with candidates.
- All students are conditionally admitted for the first six hours
- Full admission comes after the formal interview
- Deadlines: August 1 (Fall), Dec. 1 (Spring), May 1 (Sum 1)
To enter the counselor education program,students must:
- Meet all graduate admission requirements.
- Make application to the counseling program before completion of 6 semester hours in the counseling program.
- Students are not allowed to take more than 6 semester hours of counseling courses without formal interview and acceptance into the counseling program.
- 12 hours of psychology courses and/or 6 hours of psychology courses and 6 hours of educational courses; general psychology and abnormal psychology are requiredPSYC 2301 and 4360/5360).
- Official transcripts
- Letter of interest
Course Requirements: 60 hours
- COUN 6303, 6304, 6305, 6308, 6327, 6328, 6330, 6340, 6365, 6371, 6372, 6373, and 6375
- EDPD 6329
- COUN 6380, 6398, and 6399
- Six to Nine hours from COUN 6324, 6326, 6376, 6382, 6392,* and 6394*
*With instructor approval
(Students wishing to provide supervision after licensure are required to take COUN 6382).
Feel free to browse through the Counselor Education’s Course Descriptions within the counselor education program for further information.
After completing the 60-semester-hour program and passing the counselor education program’s comprehensive exams, students seeking licensure as a professional counselor must:
- Submit official WTAMU transcripts along with application to the National Board for Certified Counselors (http://nbcc.org/)
- Pass the National Counselor Exam (http://www.nbcc.org/nce)
- Pass the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counseling’s Texas Jurisprudence Exam (http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/counselor/)
- Apply for a temporary license through the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors (Licensed Professional Counselor-Intern). This involves an application packet found at http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/counselor/.
- Secure a Master level/Doctoral level, board approved Licensed Professional Counselor-Supervisor (LPC-S) through the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
- Secure an internship site(s) where you will accrue the required 3,000-clock-hours for application for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor.
You may also find out more information the counseling profession through the following professional counseling websites:
Features of the West Texas A& M University’s Counselor Education Program include being conveniently located in downtown Amarillo’s Chase Tower and having access to state of the art teaching and live supervision facilities. Classrooms are located on the 10th and 11th floor while faculty offices are located on the 7th. The West Texas A&M Counselor Education Program is host to Psi Tau Omega, the local chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, the International Honor Society in Counseling in addition to the Waugh and Roberson annual Counseling Seminar Conferences.
At any point you would like to make an appointment to discuss your options in the field of counseling, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Thanks for your interest in West Texas A&M University’s Counselor Education Program.
Dr. Yvette Castillo invite yous to learn more about the opportunities for growth and career development within the MA and MEd programs of study.
West Texas A&M University – Amarillo Center
600 S. Tyler St., Lockbox 12132
Amarillo, Texas 79106