- Surveying, Construction, and Land Development
- Water Resources
PLAN OF STUDY
Civil Engineering (B.S.)
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The West Texas A&M University Civil Engineering Program has the following objectives. During the first few years after graduation, engineers from the program will:
- Be professionally employed, serving the rapidly changing technological needs of industry, governmental organizations, or other entities regionally or throughout the state and nation, and continue to grow professionally through activities such as pursuing formal graduate study, research or continuing education, achieving professional licensure, and participating in technical societies.
- Develop an understanding of the business mission, vision, and objectives and be able to provide practical solutions that further those.
- Understand and appreciate the social, economic, and environmental issues that relate to ethical practice in a modern global society.
- Demonstrate continually advancing critical thinking in professional practice and personal lives, begin to take increasingly responsible leadership roles on interdisciplinary teams, and communicate clearly in both technical and non-technical forums.
Faculty members use the program educational outcomes to develop the topics covered and assignments in each course. By the time of graduation, mechanical engineering students will demonstrate competence in:
a. ability to apply knowledge of matematics, science and engineering;
b. ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
c. ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability;
d. ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
e. ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems;
f. ability to understand professional and ethical responsibility;
g. ability to communicate effectively;
h. ability to attain broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context;
i. ability to recognize the need for and engagement in life-long learning;
j. ability to gain knowledge of contemporary issues;
k. ability to use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
DEGREE OPTIONS/FUTURE ACADEMIC PATHS
Graduates are awarded a B.S.Civil Engineering.
Graduate Students may also find similar academic interests in:
- Engineering Technology
- Business Administration
Median wage (TX) - $89,840
Median wage (US) - $82,710
Median wage (TX) - $53,420
Median wage (US) - $58,740
Source: Myplan.com, LLC; Bureau of Labor and Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.