Identity System Overview
A well-developed identity system defines an organization, describes its culture, differentiates and positions the organization within the context of the competitive marketplace, and ensures that messages sent to and received by appropriate target audiences are clear and consistent. This document will acquaint you with that system. Although it will take some practice, the branding guidelines will become second nature to you and part of every West Texas A&M University publication, promotion, correspondence, conversation and experience. Fill out the creative request form to request creative services from the Office of Communication and Marketing. All requests will be completed based on University priorities, date of event or scope of project.
Overall Themes of WTAMU's Strategic Plan
• Academic Excellence
• Learning Environment and Student Success
We will help students “find their way,” beginning with recruitment and continuing through the job-search process. This is a key message and should be reinforced and repeated at every opportunity.
The West Texas A&M brand represents a “strong, respected academic institution where people are treated as valuable members of a friendly, supportive community.”
The campaign theme is designed to leverage the symbolic mightiness of the University mascot and to capitalize on the buffalo as a means to describe the power, strength and stability of West Texas A&M University. It was well received in focus-group testing and should become part of our everyday marketing language.
Critical Success Factors and Key Performance Indicators
• Student Learning and Success
• Academic Excellence
• Research, Scholarship and Creative Work
• Fiscal Responsibility
• Catalyst for Economic Development in Region
• Academic and Intellectual Freedom
• Pursuit of Excellence in All Endeavors
• Creativity and Innovation
• Respect for the Dignity of All Individuals
• Cooperation and Communication
• Community Service and Leadership
• Exceed Expectations of Internal and External Customers
• Continuous Improvement
These attributes define who we are as an institution—our character, our personality. They are core values that will not be compromised, even to overcome obstacles or achieve short-term goals. It’s our job, everyday and with every encounter, to live up to these powerful descriptors.
According to the dictionary, a mentor is a trusted counselor or guide. They share experiences with others, helping them enhance their education, advance their careers, build networks and navigate life’s trials and tribulations. The word, mentor, can be traced back to Greek mythology; when Odysseus left for the Trojan War, he placed his friend, Mentor, in charge of his son, Telemachus. Today, parents leave their children in our charge, and we have the responsibility to serve as wise, caring mentors.
• West Texas A&M University provides a major university experience without the big college hassles and expense.
• We are a progressive, growing university with an expanding campus, new facilities, state-of-the-art instructional technology and cutting-edge academic programs.
• We help students explore and discover their interests, talents and abilities and support them in their academic, social and career development.
• We offer a wide variety of academic majors with several outstanding programs that compete (and win!) at the highest level.
• Our students benefit from personal attention, hands-on learning and real-world experiences.