West Texas A&M University - Home
Advising: Green Lighting

Green Lighting

Academic Advising and Green Lighting

Academic advising is a vital process that helps students map out a plan for academic success to ensure that their goals are met. During advising, the student becomes eligible to register using WTAMU’s online registration system, Buff Advisor, through a process called “green lighting.” Advising and “green lighting” begin approximately one month after the beginning of the fall or spring semesters.

All undergraduate students must be advised and "green lighted" every semester to be eligible for registration:

  • Students with fewer than 30 hours, undecided majors, most BGS (Bachelor of General Studies) majors, and most BAAS (Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences) majors, must visit Advising Services.
  • Students with 31-60 hours may visit Advising Services or their major departments as determined by departmental preference.
  • Students with more than 60 hours visit their major departments.
NOTE: Some programs recommend and a few require that all their major students, regardless of the number of hours completed, be pre-advised in the department before being green lighted in Advising Services. For more information about department advisers and advising policies, refer to the Department Advisers web page.


Students who have not met all Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements, regardless of the number of credit hours completed, must register in Advising Services; they are not eligible to use Buff Advisor for registration until TSI is completed. The TSI-affected student with 61 or more hours must first be advised and “green lighted” by the major departmental adviser and then further advised in the Office of Advising Services regarding TSI compliance.

New students admitted through the individual admission (IA) program, must register in Advising Services; they are not eligible to use Buff Advisor for registration until conditions of their probationary admission have been completed.

Students with 60 or more hours who have not been assigned an adviser, who wish to change their adviser, or who wish to change their major should contact the department of their major and request an appointment to complete a change of adviser/major form. Once completed, the form should be taken to the Office of the Registrar for updating of the student record.