West Texas A&M University

Buff Transit Tracker
Residential Living - FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Living on campus is a fun and rewarding experience. We are here to make sure your home in the residence hall is comfortable, safe and enjoyable. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us

Housing Application & Assignment

When should I apply for housing?
As soon as you are admitted to WTAMU. Learn more about the application process at wtamu.edu/apply-for-housing
Can I select a roommate?
During the housing application process, you will have the opportunity to search for a roommate or select a roommate you know if they have already applied. Both roommates must select each other for the assignment to be made. We cannot guarantee that all roommate matches will be made through the initial assignment process.
When will I know my hall/room assignment?
If you are a new student/first-time resident, we notify you of hall/room assignments after June 15. Notification will be sent to your Buff email account.
Can I change my assignment once I receive it?
Due to the number of assignments that must be made and the process involved, all residents will stay in their assigned rooms until the residence halls open. You can submit the online room or hall change request form at http://wtamu.edu/housingchange http://wtamu.edu/housingchange. After the halls open, we will work with you to make room and roommate changes, as space allows.
How do I select a meal plan and is a meal plan required?
During the housing application process, you will have the opportunity to select a meal plan. Meal plans are required for all on-campus residents unless s/he meets one of the following criteria: Has reached the age of 21 prior to the first day of class each long semester. Has accumulated 45 or more credit hours (post-high school) by the first day of class each long semester.

Contracts, Fees and Payment

What happens if I decide not to attend?
To receive a complete refund, cancel your application by June 1 for the fall semester, December 15 for the spring semester, May 15 for the summer I term, and June 15 for the summer II term. All cancellations after these dates will forfeit their deposits.
How can I lower my housing and meal plan expenses?
Residence halls are priced at various levels in an effort to meet the needs of all students. Students should select halls based on what they can afford. At times a student selects a hall through the application process and is assigned to that hall before realizing that s/he does not have the finances to live in that hall. Each semester, Residential Living helps students in this situation, which might include moving the student to a less expensive hall. Students that live within a 50-mile radius of Canyon, work a significant number of hours, or have financial difficulties may be eligible to lower their meal plan to the "75 meal plan". There are options for students that may need assistance. Students with concerns related to housing or meal plan costs are encouraged to contact the Office of Residential Living.
When do I get my housing deposit back?
When you check out of the halls for the final time, you will fill out paperwork enabling you to have your deposit refunded. As long as a resident doesn't have any disciplinary holds, hasn't damaged property, checks out properly, and cancels prior to deadline, they will be refunded their housing deposit within 6-8 weeks after the cancellation request is approved.

Amenities and Hall Information

What type of security exists in the residence halls?
We make every effort to create a safe living environment for all residents. Our residence halls are equipped with an electronic card access system to provide monitored access to the halls. The card access system is in place 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students gain access to their residence hall by swiping their Buffalo Gold Card--student id card--on the card reader located outside of each building.

The University Police Department (UPD) patrols the campus 24 hours a day. Many residence halls are equipped with surveillance cameras, and our staff works closely with UPD and Operation Lock-Out Theft.

Our staff is trained to monitor and report various safety concerns. Emergency procedures are addressed each semester with the residents. Students are encouraged to lock their doors when they're away from their rooms and to report any suspicious activity to residence hall staff. Phones located outside of the residence halls act as emergency phones.
Are there laundry facilities available in the residence halls, and how much does laundry cost?
Laundry machines are located in every hall and are available for resident's personal use. Laundry cost is included in the price of housing.
Are there community kitchens in all residence halls?
Community kitchens are available in some halls; see http://wtamu.edu/student-life/residence-halls.aspx#comp_chart to compare the available amenities in each hall.
Do the community kitchens close?
Some of the community kitchens require a key, which can be checked out at the residence hall front desk. For kitchen access after hours, residents should contact their RA.
Are dishes provided in community kitchens?
All of the community kitchens have cookware available for student use. Dishes (i.e. plates, bowls, utensils) are not available in all locations, so it is recommended to bring your own.
Is landline telephone service available in the residence halls?
Telephones are available in common areas throughout each residence hall for on-campus and local phone calls. Information is provided at check in for residents who wish to have a phone line in their residence hall rooms. Residents who choose to have a phone line in their room will be responsible for a service charge separate from the room rate.

Living On Campus

Who will be in charge of the residence hall?
Each residence hall houses a Coordinator and 4-12 Resident Assistants. Coordinators are graduate or senior level students that live in the building and are responsible for the operation of the hall. The Coordinator is responsible for supervising hall staff, daily management, and advising the hall council. Resident Assistants live among the residents and are responsible for creating programming and peer counseling in their living areas. The hall staff provides assistance to students 24 hours a day.
What would I do if I got locked out of the residence halls at night?
A night duty staff member is on call Monday through Thursday nights from 9 p.m. until 8 a.m., and on weekends, a staff member is on call from 1 p.m. on Friday until 8 a.m. on Monday. Each hall has an outside phone, which enables calling the night duty number. For students requiring daytime assistance during the week, daytime desk hours vary by hall.
If I have problems in my residence hall, what should I do?
You are encouraged to contact the Resident Assistant or Coordinator in your hall. These individuals will be able to assist you. If you need additional information, you are welcome to contact the Office of Residential Living and we'll assist you in finding answers or solving problems.
What is BuffCASH?
BuffCASH is a prepaid, stored-value account that's part of your Buffalo Gold Card (your official student ID card). BuffCASH can be used on and off campus and is a convenient, cashless way to pay for meals, goods, services, and much more.
What are Dining Dollars?
Similar to BuffCASH, Dining Dollars are a prepaid, stored-value account that's part of your Buffalo Gold Card. Dining Dollars can be used in the Dining Hall, JBK Food Court, and any on-campus convenience store.
Where do I pick up my mail?
West Texas A&M University has a full-service post office in the Jack B. Kelley Student Center. All students who live on campus are issued a post office box. To contact the on-campus post office, call 806-651-2665.

In addition to the post office, most packages arriving via courier (UPS, FedEx, DHL) are delivered to the Office of Residential Living and can be picked up Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. The student must present a valid ID to sign out for the package. If the courier requests a physical address for delivery, students may use the Office of Residential Living, 2403 Russell Long Blvd., Canyon, TX 79016.
Can I have a car on campus?
Yes, you can have a car on campus. Any vehicle parked on campus is required to have a parking permit. Permits can be purchased through the Office of Parking Services, https://www.wtamu.edu/university_police/upd-parking-services.aspx.
Can I park my car on campus without a parking permit?
No, permits are required on all vehicles parked on campus 24 hours per day. For more information about parking permits, visit the Office of Parking Services website, https://www.wtamu.edu/university_police/upd-parking-services.aspx.
Can you suggest items that I should bring with me to campus? What items should I leave at home?
We've compiled a list of items that students most often bring with them to campus, as well as a list of items that are not allowed on campus. Check out the list at http://www.wtamu.edu/student-life/what-to-bring.aspx.

Rules and Policies

Am I required to live on campus?
West Texas A&M University believes that living on campus plays a critical role in your academic and developmental success. All full-time students who are under 21 years of age and who have accrued fewer than 60 post high school credit hours are required to live on campus. College credit hours earned while attending high school (dual credit, advanced placement, CLEP, etc.) are not considered.
Will housing charges be applied to my bill if I do not complete a housing application?
Yes, if you are required to live on campus and have not completed a housing application, charges will be applied to your University account. These charges will remain on your account until you complete a housing application and are assigned a residence hall or until you apply for and receive approval for an exemption. All questions related to these charges should be referred to the Office of Residential Living.
Are there exemptions to the housing requirement?
Exemption information is available at http://wtamu.edu/student-life/housing-policy.aspx. "Living with Parent" exemptions are the most common exemption and are available to students living at home within a 50-mile radius of campus. Students who fail to comply with the housing requirement will have housing pending charges placed on their account. If you anticipate applying for an exemption, please do so as early as possible to avoid processing delays and charges.
Can I stay in the halls over the holiday break?
Students are allowed to stay in the halls over some holidays. All students staying over a break need to sign up in the Office of Residential Living or at their residence hall desk. There is no charge to stay in the hall over Thanksgiving, Easter, or Spring Break. Students staying over Christmas break or between semesters will be required to pay in advance. These nights are not covered in the standard semester rate. Students should also be aware that they may be required to relocate to a designated residence hall for the duration of the break.